The goal of happign is to facilitate the use of Web Services and API from the French National Institute of Geographic and Forestry Information to retrieve their free resources.
happign allow downloading of :
- Shapefile via use of WFS service and APIcarto
- Raster via use of WMS raster service
and calculation of :
- isochrone and isodistance
Since January 1, 2021, the French National Institute for Geographic and Forestry Information (IGN) has made its public data on French topography, infrastructure, and terrain freely available. The opening of IGN data under the Etalab 2.0 open license means free access and use for all.
To facilitate access to this data, IGN has implemented a set of APIs and Web services based on OGC standards. In other words, it is possible, with correctly formatted URLs, to access IGN data. In spite of a well supplied documentation, the use of APIs remains complex to set up. The
happign package has been created to facilitate this.
Data from IGN geoservice website are free and available in open license according to the principle of the Etalab 2.0 license since January 1, 2021. Other data complete the IGN’s open data policy since June 1st, 2021. SCAN 25®, SCAN 100® and SCAN OACI data are free to download or stream, but any professional or individual wishing to develop a commercial paper or digital offer for the general public will have to pay a fee according to the General Conditions of Use.
You can install the released version of happign from CRAN with:
And the development version from GitHub with:
# install.packages("devtools") devtools::install_github("paul-carteron/happign")
Package vignettes :
- Getting started with happign : A brief intro to happign world ;
- Non functionnal API : Every week all API from IGN website are tested to find link that doesn’t work ;
- happign for foresters : happign can be used in many ways but here I focus on a forestry use.
- SCAN 25, SCAN 100 et SCAN OACI : How to download the only Scan 25, Scan 100 and Scan OACI
Resolution for raster : IGN tiles are limited to 2064x2064 pixel.
happignhappign allows you to get around this limitation. The process is explained in this vignette.
IGN offers other services. Their implementation in R is under development :
- Calculation of isochron and isodistance
- Implement all REST API Carto compatible with the OpenAPI specification (easy and quick downloading for WFS)
- Please report any issues or bugs you may encounter on the dedicated page on github.
R v >= 4.1.0.
This project is - obviously - called happign, here’s why :
- “ign” for… IGN : the acronym of the institute ;
- “api” for… API : the interface used to retrieve the data;
- and the addition of an “h” and a “p” for the pun with “happy”. Besides the fact that I love this kind of humor, the simplified use of APIs is a real source of happiness, trust me.
Also, for the most attentive to details, you can see on the logo a green leaf stuck between the teeth of the charming smile. It is none other than the leaf from the IGN logo.
Please note that the happign project is released with a Contributor Code of Conduct. By contributing to this project, you agree to abide by its terms.